Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mothers Day

Happy Mother's Day to all the momma's out there! Most of you know that I have a very deep love for my mom and I try to let her know every day just how wonderful, beautiful and loved she is. But I do think it's exciting to really give her that *extra* love on this one special day! So to you, my beautiful mom, Happy Mother's Day. I am so blessed that God chose you to be my momma and my best friend.

Nearly two years ago, I also became a momma. And I would still call myself a mom and I have a deep, incomparable love for my daughter. Our mother-daughter relationship is different, though. When I became a momma, I also helped another woman become a momma. I remember choosing her so carefully and I have never questioned my decision. She is amazing and has a very special place in my heart. We both love this little girl so much. My love showed itself early on when I chose to place her for adoption in order to give her the life she deserved and now her new mommy will show her love by raising her, teaching her, caring for her, providing for her and all of the other amazing things that moms do for their children. For that, I am forever thankful to her. What a blessing it is to know that the person I love the most in this world will be cared for.

As much as I am so thankful and blessed to have such special mothers in my life, I still feel a twinge of pain when this day comes. There's not a day that goes by that I don't wish I could be holding Charlie. I wish so deeply that our lives didn't have to be separated...I wish that I never had to even look into adoption and that she could have been born into a solid marriage between myself and whomever it is that I will spend forever with. It's sad, but I know that the way our story has played out thus far is exactly what God had planned. God was with us the whole way and I know he's brought Charlie and her new mommy and daddy into my life for a reason. We were supposed to be family and it's so special that one little girl could bring us all together.

There are some birthmoms who celebrate their motherhood today, the Saturday before Mother's Day. It's a special day to remember those women who never took their babies home, but instead chose to place them with another family. This day is unique because a lot of people don't really know what to say to birth moms, so they just don't say anything. Perhaps out of fear that they'd be bringing up something so emotional and painful for the mom...and that caution is appreciated, but for me, I would rather talk about it than keep it some dirty little secret. My daughter is worth talking about. And if we can start the conversation, maybe more people will know about having adoption as an option in an unplanned pregnancy situation.

So today, this wonderful day that celebrates mothers, lets celebrate ALL of the momma's. We are all amazing and we all show our children love in different ways, but there's always love there. And that is worth celebrating.

From before I could see your sweet face...
 To the first moments I could hold you....
 To our magical time together now, I will always love you.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you!! 

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day, my dear Ashley! Your words of love, faith, and courage continue to touch the hearts of many. You are a priceless example of unconditional love, a true reflection of your heart. I love you so much, and on this Mother's Day, here's to one of the best!!!! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley -- I have never had the opportunity to meet you . . . but it is obvious that your mom, my cousin, raised one incredible young lady. I so very much admire and respect you for the decision you made to give your daughter not only life, but also the opportunity to have what you could not give her at the time. I accompanied a high school friend to the court hearing where she gave up her child for adoption -- and it is something I will never forget. Birth mom's give "unconditional love" a whole new meaning. Happy Mother's Day to you -- and God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ashley, I just discovered your blog, and I am blessed in reading it! The support you've received from your wonderful Mom and the rest of the family doesn't surprise me in the least. You are indeed a loving, courageous, faithful Mom, just like your Mom is! God's blessings to you always. <3

    ReplyDelete