Thursday, October 23, 2014

An Update...

When you're in the midst of carrying a child, your mind can only handle a certain amount of information/thoughts/feelings/worries/etc. That was very true for me and my pregnancy; I could only see the impact this would have on me and I didn't have the emotional capability of thinking about life after she was born. I'm of the belief that it is probably a good thing that I wasn't burdened by more than I was because I doubt I could have handled all of it. I think God has a way of protecting us from ourselves sometimes....I'm glad He was watching out for me back then.

However, here we are now...almost four months after Charlie was born and I'm dealing with the aftermath. It's hard. I don't know if there's a word that can actually explain what I feel...I guess hard is as close to is as I will get. But I just want to be clear that when I say this is hard, that does NOT mean I regret anything or that I am second guessing myself. I'm simply saying that this part of the adoption process is hard.

I also want to acknowledge that this is really hard for other people in my life; my mom in particular. Every day I get photos from Charlie's mom and I have been instructed to immediately forward them onto my mom. I, of course, love sending the photos to my mom because we both cherish this baby so much. My mom was with me the entire time I was in the hospital and she was the first person to hold Charlie. She loves this little girl so much....and so for her, she is learning how to deal with watching her first biological grandchild being raised by someone else. We have moments where we both just get teary eyed looking at pictures of her...and I can't tell you how many times my mom will say, "I just can't wait to hold her again." This just makes my heart break for my mom...I know exactly how she is feeling. Going 4-6 weeks without seeing Charlie is miserable. But those few hours of being with her are so awesome!

I've scheduled a fun visit for everyone in my family to see her in November and we are all really excited! This is the kind of stuff that helps get us through...knowing that we have a visit to look forward to helps so much. I have it on my planner with a big red heart around it!

Another thing that is helping me process and move forward is that I am making advances in my own life. When I got pregnant, it was like my world was put on hold. I moved back in with my parents and my world revolved around this child. Now it's like I have to re-learn how life goes. I've moved out of my parents and I'm working a really great job. I bought a new car and I'm just focusing on bettering myself. I've started to take anti depression medication again, but I refuse to feel bad about that. I needed some help in balancing myself out and I'm choosing to get that help. That is a good thing.

I'm really actually quite happy in my life. I know that I did the right thing when it came to choosing to carry and give life to Charlie. I know that I chose an amazing set of parents for her and I am excited for her adoption to be finalized. She is so much a part of my life and I think about her every day...I have her pictures all over my phone and I use them as a slide show on my computer at work. But I'm also learning how to live on my own again. To be in healthy relationships and to make sure I'm OK.

This post wasn't really about anything in particular, I guess....just more of an update on everything.

 Here's my cutie pie in her first pair of jeans! Look how big she is getting! She definitely will be a tall lady!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment